Ok so I’ll make this one quick.
These are just like regular shortbread cookies, except you replace half the amount of butter with melted chocolate and add some broken nuts as well.
CHOCOLATE & ALMOND SHORTBREAD COOKIES (Adapted from Michael Ruhlman’s Ratio.)
- 50 grams sugar
- 50 grams melted chocolate
- 50 grams butter
- 150 grams all-purpose flour
- Broken almonds (As much as you want)
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Using the double boiler method, melt the chocolate in a bowl and set aside.
- In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until the sugar is evenly distributed and the mixture turns pale.
- Fold in the flour little by little and mix until the mixture becomes crumbly.
- Fold in the chocolate and broken almonds until a uniform dough is formed.
- Shape the dough into a ball, press down into a thick disc, wrap in cling film/plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour. This dough may be stickier because of the chocolate, so make sure it rests really well.
- Once chilled, roll out the dough on a floured surface OR between two sheets of plastic wrap. Roll to a thickness of about a quarter of an inch thick.
- Cut into shapes using a cookie cutter.
- Bake at 180C for 10-15 minutes; or until the edges appear crisp.
- Cool completely before consuming.