This week I am going to taking a little break. But before I go, here’s a look at the chocolate cake I made for my husband’s birthday. I asked him if he wanted a layered cake; or perhaps something with raspberries or some other berry. But he said, “I just want chocolate.”
So here it is. I’ll be back later this week with an exciting post!
I didn’t have any good quality cream on hand so I made the chocolate ganache without cream, using a combination of milk and butter.
NUTTY CHOCOLATE GANACHE CAKE
- 100 g butter
- 200 g castor sugar
- 2 eggs
- 100 g flour + a little more to dust the nuts
- 25 g cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 50 g finely chopped nuts (I used a combination of walnuts and almonds)
- Preheat oven to 180 C
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy and pale in colour.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking well after each one is added.
- Next, add the flour mixture and the milk, alternately, starting and ending with flour, and whisking well after each addition. It should be flour-milk-flour-milk-flour.
- Dust the nuts with some flour and fold into the batter.
- Pour into a 9-inch round tin and bake at 180C for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool completely before taking out of the tin and icing it.
The Ganache, Without Cream
I found this recipe on nigella.com and it’s pretty awesome; yielding a glossy, creamy, rich ganache.
- 25 g butter
- 60 ml milk
- 100 g semi sweet chocolate
- Place the chocolate pieces/chips in a heatproof bowl.
- In a saucepan, heat the milk and butter till the butter melts into the milk.
- Pour this hot liquid over the chocolate chips and let stand for 2-3 minutes, preferably covered.
- Slowly work your whisk into the chocolate-milk mix till the chocolate dissolves and there are no lumps.
- Refrigerate, whisking every ten minutes till it reaches a spreadable consistency.
- Spread over the cooled cake, sprinkle some crumbled nuts on top and eat!