This isn’t part of a McDonald’s happy meal. I thought of calling it happy because that’s what it is: a happy chicken salad. Here’s why:
- It’s full of happy colours.
- You can make it with leftover ingredients lying in your fridge which you are happy to dispose of. Waste not, want not!
- It will make your taste buds happy.
We were stuck in the middle of the week and didn’t want any dal-sabzi-roti. Nor did we feel like pasta. So my husband said, let’s just have a huge bowlful of salad and nothing else. I’ve always believed in and enjoyed salad as a meal, and making your own at home beats ordering in from Subway. Bell peppers, greens, some chicken or tofu and bread on the side- you have a pretty complete meal.
This salad is easy and you don’t have to break your head. It’s filling too.
For The Salad
- 300 grams cooked chicken breast, cubed (I marinated mine in olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper for 20 minutes and then cooked them in the microwave. You can pan-fry, boil or steam the chicken instead.)
- 1/2 of a green apple, sliced
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, sliced into long strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 small head of lettuce, torn into pieces
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup brocolli florets, steamed
- 1/4 cup black olives, sliced
- Handful of crushed walnuts
For The Dressing
I made a honey mustard dressing, combining 1/2 cup honey, 1/2 cup dijon mustard, 1 tablespoon olive oil and juice of 1 lime.
Combine all ingredients in a large salad bowl and toss together. Add the dressing, some freshly ground black pepper on top and you’re done!
I was fooling around with Picasa and tried a retro 60’s effect with these pictures. Just for the record- I have been (re) watching a lot of Mad Men lately.